Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Tokyo Underpants

So I've been actually suffering my first bout of homesickness since I was shipped off to my Aunt when I was 6 years old.

I'm in Tokyo, and just waiting for my business trip to end.

How am I combatting the wish to be home?

Well, by eating lychee jello with real lychees in it in my underwear watching Japanese baseball, of course.

Go Yomiuri Giants! Always stick with Giants, no matter where I go.

But I thought I'd give a report from the road. It seems that the Japanese have wizened up mostly and don't wear badly translated t-shirts anymore.

Maggie is mighty fond of the 'Mildness' sweatshirt I bought her, but that isn't as bad as some of the classic badly translated stuff from the past.

This is a funny clinical description of Engrish: Wikipedia (Engrish)
This is a funny site that puts things INTO Engrish for you! Pigeond.net
This is just a funny site with examples: Howler Dictionary

Okay, you get the point. Anyway, the two best shirts I've seen so far make a lot of sense:

You're right -
Too successful for you.

and

My bank account may be overdrawn,
but I still have some checks!

(honorable mention to the hot pink Chicago Bulls shirt, only because I wasn't sure that maybe it was just a laundry accident. didn't look like it, but could have been).

Anyway, back to the Giants game! Ah, feels like home.

Dang it. I just hit my head on the roof of my room, and then hurt my knee on the desk as I tried to hop off the bed.

Not quite home. A lot smaller. And soy-i-er.

eno

4 Comments:

Blogger eno said...

I really recommend that list of bad Engrish! I am laughing my ass off. Alone, but laughing.

4:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hurry home dude!

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Engrish rocks! And I can't really believe that Japanese T-shirts got any better...

10:37 AM  
Blogger eno said...

i'm thinking that Tokyo's English has gotten better. I asked where I could go pick up badly translated shirts, and they told me to leave the city limits and go to a shopping-mall type place.

can't speak for all of Japan here, just the main boroughs of Tokyo, from my perspective.

all caveats, i know.

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home