Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Taxing Art in Jersey City

(This is what I got when I searched Google Images for "Steve Fulop." Looking like the king of clubs!)

Read the master, Tris McCall, and his take on the meeting last night with Councilman Fulop.

It seems that this confusing ordinance affects anyone that runs afoul of law enforcement, and, as we know - those guys are always right!

Read as he reports about Fulop talking about 'night-club elements' and the horror of hearing 7 decibels' worth of sound outside a venue. The horror!

And the upshot is, the night life we are trying to foster here takes another body blow from the boring suits of the world.

Complain to Steven Fulop | Jersey City Ward "E" Councilman
280 Grove Street, Jersey City, NJ 07302
Phone: (201) 547-5315
Email: info@stevenfulop.com

1 Comments:

Blogger eno said...

An open letter to Councilman Fulop:

Dear Councilman Fulop,

I believe the passage of the recent Art Tax Ordinance is a short-sited move designed to placate fear of a non-existent bogeyman.

I'm 28, engaged, have a post-graduate degree, and have bought a condo in Jersey City. In short, I believe I represent your emerging city's target demographic.

However, your newest ordinance has me considering another move. I already spend about 80% of my considerable entertainment expenditures in New York City, and have to travel far to visit all of my friends (also in this target demographic) in Brooklyn.

Why do they live in Brooklyn? Because there's much more going on there. I guess you could call us the 'night club element.'

So, in an effort to cut down on crime, you have given the police the ability to shut down any venue or bar at any time. You've made it less likely that there will be more bars or even (gasp!) a music venue in this city in the future. You've essentially created a tax that will bar entry for grassroots art organizations.

In short, you've cut the heart of out Jersey City's already flailing art, culture, and nightlife.

To what end? This provincial attitude assures this city will never be anything more than a suburb to New York City.

Maybe that is what you wanted. But it's not what I saw when I moved here. I saw another borough, another emerging city, with art, culture, and affordable real eastate.

Boy was I wrong. This is Ocean Grove, isn't it?

Thanks for showing me this now, before my roots had fully grown,
Eno Sarris
jcbaby.blogspot.com

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home