Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Jersey City Gangs


So the Jersey City news world is abuzz: Assemblyman Lou Manzo wants to call in the National Guard to clean up gangs. Here are some opinions of mine on the issue.

Opinion #1: I agree that this is an attention grab from a politician that must clean out his offices soon. The National Guard in Jersey hasn't happened for this sort of issue since the Newark race riots, right?

Opinion #2: He lists Jersey City as a place that needs this. Isn't that crazy talk? I drive through many parts of JC on my way to work in Teaneck, and my mechanic is in over on JFK on the way down to Bayonne. I'm not so sheltered that I don't know that some neighborhoods are.. not so great. However, I have not seen or read about a neighborhood that needs National Guard help.

Opinion #3: Even for Newark, isn't this a bad idea? You want National Guardsman to try and rid the city of gangs? I doubt their training includes how to deal with gangs, although I will admit that their training has probably changed in leaps and bounds since the days of Kent State. But does this list make sense: Iraq, New Orleans... Newark?

I don't have the answers about Newark's growing problem with violence. However, I'm pretty sure THIS is not it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home